For access to my shared Anki deck and Roam Research notes knowledge base as well as regular updates on tips and ideas about spaced repetition and improving your learning productivity, join "Download Mark's Brain".
- Title:: The First Room-Temperature Superconductor Has Finally Been Found
- Author:: [[sciencenews.org]]
- Recommended By:: [[Tyler Cowen]]
- Reading Status:: #complete
- Review Status:: #complete
- Tags:: #articles #superconductor #technology #innovation #[[new technology]]
- URL:: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/physics-first-room-temperature-superconductor-discovery
- Source:: #instapaper
- Roam Notes URL:: link
- Anki Tag:: science_news_room_temp_superconductor
- Anki Deck Link:: link
- Scientists reported the discovery of the first room-temperature [[superconductor]], after more than a century of waiting. (View Highlight)
- Superconductors transmit electricity without resistance, allowing current to flow without any energy loss. But all superconductors previously discovered must be cooled to very low temperatures, making them impractical. (View Highlight) #Ankified
- If a room-temperature [[superconductor]] could be used at atmospheric pressure (the new material only works at very high pressure), it could save vast amounts of [[energy]] lost to resistance in the [[electrical grid]]. And it could improve current technologies, from [[MRI machines]] to [[quantum computers]] to [[magnetically levitated trains]]. Dias envisions that humanity could become a “superconducting society.” (View Highlight)
- It’s a big advance, but practical applications still a long way off.